Monday 20 July 2015

Twenty Five Drawers

I'll let you in to a little secret. My home isn't quite as tidy as my Instagram profile(s) might have you believe. Although I have a sneaky feeling nobody's is!
If you're anything like me, you run around tidying things away (read, scooping things into drawers) before visitors arrive. That's just how I feel about sharing photos of my home, I'm much happier posting the odd tidy little corner or specific areas I've styled, than messy, disorganised clutter traps.
I've decided it's time to tackle those traps though and whip my home into the organised shape I'd love it to be. There's plenty of areas that could do with a sort out (don't get me started on the toy baskets) but I've decided to start with the main culprit, drawers!!!
I find it all too easy to open a drawer and throw the mess on top into it. Yes it solves the visual problem but it's still there and I've decided I can't ignore the hidden mess any longer.  I'm hoping that by sorting through them I'll be able to keep on top of things, as everything will have a set place to 'live.' It might even save me some time when I'm looking for something. Anyone else spend ages looking for things that could be in one of about ten different places?!
But given that we have 25 disorganised drawers to sort through (yes I've counted), the task seems daunting and something I simply don't have the time to tackle in one go. So I've decided to do things 'just one drawer at a time'. Giving up 10 to 15 minutes each day to sort through JUST ONE drawer. I'll stop myself if I'm tempted to do any more than that as it'll then turn into the mammoth job that I want to avoid.

I'm hoping that over the course of the next couple of weeks (OK it'll probably take me the whole summer holidays) I'll have things a little more ship shape round here.
Thankfully I'm never short of a helper willing to empty out the entire contents of a drawer.

Anyone else fancy joining me?


1 comment:

  1. Such a good plan! But I'm afraid to say that when I read this I just thought "I should get some more drawers then I'd have somewhere to hide all my mess in!" Oh dear. I think I've taken away the wrong kind of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete